Herbie the Love Bug became a national sensation beginning in 1968 with the last movie produced in 2005. Here are a few fun facts about the beloved VW Beetle star.
1. The Movies: The original Herbie the Love Bug was a comedy released by Disney in 1968. The movie was such a hit it spawned 5 sequels. Subsequent films include Herbie Rides Again, Herbie Goes to Monte Carlo, Herbie Goes Bananas, The Love Bug (1997), and Herbie: Fully Loaded.
2. Starring: Dean Jones (played Jim), Michelle Lee (played Carol), Buddy Hackett and David Tomlinson starred in the original movie. Herbie wanted Jim and Carol to fall in love. With some help from Herbie, they eventually did.
3. Style: A 1963 white beetle, Herbie wore red, white and blue racing stripes from front to back bumper and sported a large racing-style “54” decal on its hood, doors and engine cover. Actually, about 100 cars total starred in the various movies and TV appearances some with slight variations in detail.
4. Personality: Herbie is known to have had a mind of his own and was able to drive by himself, preferably in races where he displayed his devil-may-care California roots. Not only did Herbie have intellect but he talked, too!
5. Fan Clubs: Volkswagen maintains an official Love Bug Fan Club at http://lovebugfans.net/ but there are others such as http://www.herbiemania.com/.
6. Love Bug Gifts: Herbie appears on mugs, t-shirts, posters, mouse pads, bumper stickers and even U.S. Postage Stamps. Google Herbie the Love Bug and see for yourself!
7. Social: Yes, you guessed it! There is even a Herbie Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/pages/Herbie-The-Love-Bug/15749693345.
8. DVD: In the unlikely event you have never seen a Herbie movie, check out Amazon and other on-line locations.
Happy Valentine’s Day from the Folks at Strong Volkswagen.
How about taking home a brand new 2012 Volkswagen Beetle to your sweetie!